Joshua Dunn (PhD University of Virginia) is Professor and Chair of the Department of Political Science and Director of the Center for the Study of Government and the Individual at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs. He has research and teaching interests in public law, education policy, and political theory. His books include Complex Justice: The Case of Missouri v. Jenkins, From Schoolhouse to Courthouse: The Judiciary's Role in American Education, and Passing on the Right: Conservative Professors in the Progressive University. He also writes a quarterly article on law and education for the journal Education Next. Previously he taught at the College of William & Mary and was a fellow in contemporary history, public policy, and American politics at the Miller Center of Public Affairs in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Areas of Interest
- Constitutional Law
- Judicial Policy-Making
- Political Theory
- Public Administration
- Philosophy of Law
- American Political Institutions
- Passing on the Right: Conservative Professors in the Progressive University,with Jon Shields, Oxford University Press, 2016.
- "The Paradoxes of Politics in Colorado Springs," The Forum, 12 no. 2 (2014): 329-42.
- "Who Governs in God's City?" Society, 49 no. 1 (2012): 24-32.
- "Courting Education: Mitigating the Seven Somewhat Deadly Sins of Education Litigation," Carrots, Sticks, and the Bully Pulpit: Lessons From a Half Century of Federal Efforts to Improve America's Schools, eds. Frederick M. Hess and Andrew P. Kelly, Harvard Education Press, 2012: pp. 83-104.
- "The Spirit is Partially Willing: The Legal Realism and Halfhearted Minimalism of President Obama," The Obama Presidency in the Constitutional Order, eds. Carol McNamara and Melody M. Marlowe, Rowman & Littlefield, 2011: pp. 91-112.
- "False Premises: The Accountability Fetish in Education," with Martha Derthick, Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, vol. 32, no. 3: 1015-34.
- From Schoolhouse to Courthouse: The Judiciary's Role in American Education, edited with Martin West, Brookings Institution Press, 2009.
- "Talking About Religion: Separation, Freedom of Speech, and Student Rights," From Schoolhouse to Courthouse: The Judiciary's Role in American Education, Brookings Institution Press, 2009.
- Complex Justice: The Case of Missouri v. Jenkins, University of North Carolina Press, 2008.